Saturday, May 18, 2013

The poet; fauna and flora.





On Tuesday I met with Harumi. The major part of my proposal for coming here was to set some of Harumi's poems to music. In 2010, I set excerpt from one of her poems for soprano, piccolo and bombardondini. What is a bombardondini? It is a name I made up for the Travel Tuba. I won't go into why, but you can rest assured that it is very good reason. It was premiered in Schwandorf, Bavaria by Anka Draugelates, Thaddeus Watson and myself. I had the text translated to Bayerisch since I was Bayern, near the forest and the lines of the poem mention the forrest. 



We had a nice reunion. I haven't seen Harumi in over ten years. She lives in Eniwa, just outside of Sapporo. Originally I was going to stay there, but there is not very much going on in that town and I don't speak Japanese. She and I both figured I had better stay someplace where something was happening and I had half a chance of making my way in a strange land. Good decision. Actually, I have yet to get to Eniwa. I do want to walk through the town at least a couple of times. It only seems right. 

Tokyo has those two observation decks on Tokyo Tower, which is a radio tower. Sapporo has the JR Tower, which is a skyscraper own by Japan Rail. When I got here I decided that I didn't need to go up there. Being here for awhile, I came to realize Sapporo is much bigger than I supposed. Harumi, in all her time here has never been up there, so we went. We also had some Hokkaido ramen. 

The next day I went back to Makomanai Park and headed in the other direction from my starting point the first time I discovered that plank path. Photos from that walk are in this post also. 

Waiting for the subway, which at this station is not sub.

Harumi's ramen. 

My ramen. It is "Hokkaido Ramen," distinguished by the corn and butter pat. We know how I feel about butter. The pork doesn't belong on it; I had it added. We know how I feel about pig.

Butter.

Sapporo, looking east, I think.

North.

West.

South, I am sure now - the radio/t.v. tower is south of the station.

This is the size of milk you get with your coffee here. The ramen portions are very filling. The other dishes generally leave me wanting more. 

Back to the park.

The new starting point or picking up where I began.
Are those eggs? They look like eggs to me. Fauna.



Flora.







Fiddleheads!

This appeared at the top of the mountain. What is it?
Where I came from; where I am; where I could go.
Blooms are happening.
A golf club.
A view of the city.

An Olympic golf course. Is golf a Winter Olympics sport? Strange.
I could go farther, but it is getting dark again.
Have you been to Japan? Then you know that this is what you may have to deal with.

Yes, you may.

Walking toward Seb's house.
Someone's front lawn.


2 comments:

  1. Is that a little foot bath? How nice, after a long hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Ray, you've really put your foot in it now.

    ReplyDelete