Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Sliced, smoked beef or ground beef? (06/30/22)

 The big day - June 30, Francis Wong, co-founder with Jon Jang of Asian Improv aRts, retires as CEO on the organization's 35th year. He has a lot to be proud of. Having started in the Bay Area, it is now a national organization with a mid-western branch in Chicago, headed by Tatsu Aoki, with outposts in several other cities, like Los Angeles, represented by yours truly. Its record company, Asian Improv Records has a substantial catalog primarily of Asian American led ensembles performing improvised music that combines musical traditions with the African American improvising tradition. I am proud to be a part of this organization that has supported and influenced my work. 

Because I was performing, there are not a lot of photos of the performance. Someday I may post a page of shots by the official photographers, but not today. Right now I'm just trying to catch this journal up. What you'll see are shots of my walk to lunch. There is a shot of two women on the street. When I walked by them, I realized that the one nearest the curb is proselytizing; the one in the pink is having none of it. But it was all very friendly. 


When I started this walk, my goal was another burger joint. But on the way I passed Wise Sons Jewish Delicatessen. And I did pass it. By about two blocks. During that time there was an internal struggle going on - do I really want another burger when there's a Jewish deli right behind me. The deli won. Of the show, there are just shots of Karl, Lewis, Tatsu, Kioto, Francis, Vinay and Melody. Like I said, I was busy. Then some shots from the dinner in Chinatown (different restaurant than the night before). How the chop stick got into Tatsu's shoe, none of us know.


























No comments:

Post a Comment