Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Beat Goes On...

 Finally a weekend that I don't have to rehearse or perform. The music biz is not all it is cracked up to be. Not that I've been able to relax. I have a lot of work to do. Not the least of which is a piece I've agreed to compose for Michio Yagi and her ensemble - four kotos and clarinet. Kotos are identified by the how many strings they have. Michio's ensemble has a 17, 18, 21 and 25 string koto. That is a lot to deal with. Writing for four kotos is not like writing for a string quartet. I've been dealing with violins, violas and cellos my whole life. Though I wrote a piece for clarinet and three kotos a few years ago, I have to relearn all that sui generis koto stuff. I have a choice of clarinet and/or bass clarinet. Not sure, but I think I'll limit myself to B-flat clarinet. 

Last weekend however, was busy. I did a recording session on Sunday for which I rehearsed on Saturday and the previous Wednesday. The project was for composers Josh Gerowitz, Casey Anderson and Casey Butler. They had a composition each, though Josh's was multi-movement. I enjoyed all of them. The whole experience was great fun. The ensemble was two trumpets, three trombones, tuba, three reeds, percussion, drums, guitar and bass. We recorded at Seahorse Studio, where I recorded with Vijay Anderson a month or two ago. Vinny Golia was on this date as well, like he was on Vijay's. 

The Composers...


Saturday's Rehearsal...







I went shopping at a local African market...


Shots from the session...





Stopped at a market on the way home, saw this sign, but didn't see any avocados.





No comments:

Post a Comment