Monday, September 29, 2014

There Seem To Be Some Disagreements About Mole

I didn't want to do it, but how could I pass it up? I got another email alert from CARS about their Pop-Up Broadway event. I decided it really wasn't for me and moved the e-mail to the trash. Then on Sunday morning I reverted to old habit and started surfing the online event calendars. A new one to me is Enclave. I think it will become my favorite for these kinds of events. What should I see on the calendar but that back at the Plaza at Olvera Street there is the Feria de Los Moles. This is a cook-off competition between the moles of Puebla and Oaxaca. Who knew moles were animate? It was late afternoon before I could get out of the house, but you can bet I was gonna go. I hit them both, the Broadway event and the Mole Festival.

North end of the Pop-Up Broadway event. One of the old theaters downtown that has been converted into something else - a church.
Even theatrical churches have competition, like this Help Center that will give you prayers everyday.
But you can sign-in at the theater. Otherwise known as the...
Catedral de la Fe.
One of only two performances I managed to catch.
And who else should be shooting but Take My Picture - Gary Leonard.
Also enjoying the show was CARS President Aaron Paley.
Broadway is full of shops that can fit you out for an event. 

There are also plenty of places to eat. 
The other performance was of Brazilian drummers and dancers.

I wasn't sure I was going to eat at the competition. A stand like this was too much to resist.
A cabeza and a buche taco.
I don't know why all these motorcycles were in this lot.
Another art deco building like the Wiltern. 
This is the Eastern Building, built by the Polish immigrant Adolph Sieroty.
We are being watched everywhere.
Facade of the restored United Artists Theater/ACE hotel.
There was a lot of yarn bombing going on. Who knew?



Another old "once a theater."
The Orpheum is restored.
Olvera Street and Chinatown (just to the north) have an Italian heritage.
I took two shots of this group and she wasn't going to let me get away without contributing. 
And now the for the competition.
Some lighter fare first. 
I've never had Tejate
It is not for everyone, but it is for me.
The competitors...


Puebla.
Oaxaca.
Puebla.
In case someone didn't know what was going on.
Pico House, another local historic landmark.

Some of that Brazilian dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment