Saturday, May 11, 2013

Scenes From Downtown Sapporo


  
I see these guys fairly often; not this big. I have to figure out what they are. 


South side of Sapporo Station. I have explored to the south and west of here; the other two directions next week.
I can only guess, but I think these people were recruiting. Can you imagine?
Map of the park that the old prefecture headquarters is located in.
The building...
 and naked trees. I took these shots for comparison in a week. I am hoping that in a week they will be full of blossoms. If it takes much longer I'll miss them. A guy I talked to yesterday suggested that I have bad timing in my travels if I am looking for cherry blossoms...showing up too late or moving on too soon. (I am giving information out of sequence; it is going to be that way.)

Naked trees.
Naked trees.
A shrub, bush, tree with blooms.
I took this shot because of the guy in the second floor window. The high hat means something to the guys that wear them. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 
Streetcars in Sapporo.
People shopping. In every city people are shopping.
Okay, Los Angeles, the Mayan has nothing on this place. I hear it hasn't been open for  five years. It is for sale if you want it.
Seb's club.
Front view.
From the other side.
Another interesting building.
There were lots of crows in Tokyo. There are lots of crows here.
What is this crow doing?


Eating another crow. That's family for you.
The orchestra is playing Bruckner's 7th in a few days...
I have figured out the subway and buses; how could I not go?
I bought a few items from this woman, we conversed, I gage her a CD and she threw  a couple of more items. 
The carrot jam is rockin'. I haven't tried the preserved mushrooms (hot), bell pepper (hot) and the something I don't know what it is. The red stuff in the plastic bag is a kim che made from yamaimo. It has a bit of slime to it, but is tasty nonetheless.
See, there are some blooms around.

Like Tokyo, the city has lots and lots of temples, shrines...





and other things.

2 comments:

  1. Fun pix, Bill. Do you know Kiyoshi Sato? He's the tubist in the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra. He was a friend of mine at USC, the only other tubist I know in Japan right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray. I don't know Kiyoshi. So far, I have only met one tuba player here, Gideon Jukes (http://gideonjuckes.blogspot.jp/2012_05_01_archive.html), who played with the Shibusashirazu Orchestra. Mark Rappaport is trying to organize a four tuba concert for when I return to Tokyo. Gideon would be one of them. That would be nice. I am also scheduled to meet with Roger Bobo on my return. There is just a small window for that meeting, we are both on the move.

    ReplyDelete