Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lawd, save me from dem wild creatures!

Maybe somebody didn't make it?
On my first full day here, I decided to reconnoitre the neighborhood. As usual, this led me far afield of my well-laid route. Seb had told me of a very beautiful park just down the road. However, my plan was to explore the urban environment. You know where this is going…I ended up in the park, but not by going just down the road, rather taking the long road 'round. Of course, I didn't know that was what I was doing. Truly, I was on the road and had no intention of  getting off it until it became clear that there was going to be no sanctioned place to relieve my bladder. That was when I discovered the plank trail. As I couldn't read the signs written in Japanese, I had no idea where I was headed. What I did know was that it was getting late. If there is anything I have learned from hiking in the desert, it is that when the sun starts going down, it goes down faster than it ever has seemed to before. After awhile, I figured it was time to get the hell out of dodge. The next day when I told Seb where I had gone, he warned me not to go too far into that wood, because it is easy to get lost (not likely with my GPS)  and there are bears (熊) and snakes (蛇) in there. Bears and snakes! Geez Louise! Why'd he wait so long to tell me?

Yes, that is snow.
I have been getting real familiar with this bus sign and its place in the world. 
Winter wasn't good for somebody.
I think it is a hip shot and you can connect it to those old Japanese sci-fi movies if you push.
No cemetery, but you can't really have one without this stuff.
Impressive aren't they?
On the other hand...
"shrooms in the field.
Yes, that is snow. Believe me, it is snow.
The plank trail.
Heading to where?
These are all over the place.
You see, the sun is going down.
One of my landmarks. You have to have landmarks. Besides,  I like these kinds of places if  I don't have to work at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment