Saturday, October 17, 2015

Loopy Jazz and Whacky Dance_October 10 & 11

Last weekend was busy on the musical side of things. Saturday night was a gig with Steve Weisberg and his orchestra. It is a fun orchestra to play in. There are always singers. Steve does arrangements for them. For a lot of them, it is their first time singing in front of such a large ensemble. Suzy Williams is the singer in these photos. She knows how to sing in front of a band. I usually do an extemporaneous spoken word solo on a tune. I'll know what the song is going to be so I can review the lyrics and give some thought to the vibe of the song. I don't usually go beyond coming up with a persona for the solo. For this show, all I knew was that it was a new song that Steve had written for his wedding anniversary, which happened to be that night. I had to leave the rehearsal before they got to it, so I had no idea of the tune or the lyrics. I decided to go back in time and be the Rabbi at wedding. That is the get-up I am in, in the photo with the polka dots. It went over well, got some good laughs. 


Sunday I did two performances with the Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre. The piece was "Sophie & Charlie - Intensive Care." The piece is a dance telenovela. "Intensive Care," was the third episode. Heidi's dance company specializes in doing site-specific pieces. Each episode of "Sophie & Charlie," takes place at a different site. This episode was located at a partially functioning health care facility. There were five dancers involved. I put together a trio of percussion, trombone and myself on tuba. The music was improvised with a few sonic signposts. 















No comments:

Post a Comment